Breast augmentation surgery is one of the most popular cosmetic surgeries with high patient satisfaction, so you may be wondering if you’d be a good candidate for surgery. While choosing to undergo this surgery is a highly personal decision, there are certain criteria you need to meet to be considered a good candidate.
Here are some of the top criteria to consider:
- Your breasts have changed shape and size due to pregnancy and nursing. Pregnancy and breastfeeding can significantly change a woman’s body, leading to breasts that look deflated. A breast augmentation may be performed with or without a breast lift to help you achieve the size and shape you desire and a more youthful placement, if necessary.
- You’ve experienced significant weight loss. If you’ve lost a lot of weight, you may be dealing with breasts that look deflated and now sag as well due to the loss of volume. A breast augmentation with or without a breast lift may be indicated to help you achieve the size and shape to complement your body’s new contours.
- Your breasts didn’t develop. Micromastia is a condition in which a woman has underdeveloped breasts, often due to hormones or genetics. A breast augmentation can help a woman achieve a more proportional appearance.
- You have asymmetrical breasts. Breast augmentation can help women who have one breast that’s larger than the other, often due to hormones, an illness or injury. Women who have asymmetrical breasts often have trouble shopping for clothing that fits properly, especially bras and bikini tops.
- You understand the risks associated with surgery. All surgeries, whether cosmetic or not, come with risk. While breast augmentation is considered a safe surgery, it’s important that you follow all of your surgical team’s instructions before and after surgery for the best outcome.
- You are making this decision for you and you alone. It’s important that you aren’t influenced into the decision to undergo breast augmentation surgery by anyone else. It’s a highly personal decision and one that you must make for yourself and no one else.