Liposuction in Rochester
We understand the importance of feeling good about your appearance. In fact, we have made it our business to help the men and women of Rochester find their personal path to their best self; the self that they see when they close their eyes.
What do you see when you imagine your ideal appearance? Is stubborn fat standing in the way of you and your most confident self? Let’s look at how liposuction might help.
What is Liposuction?
Liposuction is a surgical body-sculpting procedure that focuses on removing localized pockets of fat cells. This procedure has been around for decades, and has undergone significant advances thanks to innovative technologies, such as laser and ultrasound.
The Liposuction Procedure
In a liposuction procedure, a thin tube called a “cannula” is inserted through a tiny incision and is used to suction out the layers of fat underneath the skin. The cannula is moved back and forth through the fat during the liposuction procedure, breaking up the fat deposits and vacuuming them out. If you are having liposuction performed on a number of areas, your surgeon will then move to the next site, keeping any incisions as small and unobtrusive as possible.
Common areas treated with Liposuction
Liposuction is conducted on areas large and small. While there is a limit to how much fat one can remove at any given time, it is possible to have liposuction in multiple areas at one time. Common treatment sites include the hips, thighs, knees, abdomen, buttocks, back, upper arms, neck and chin.
Am I a candidate for Liposuction?
The mere fact that you have stubborn fat that goes nowhere regardless of your healthy habits means that you are likely a good candidate for liposuction. Other aspects that are considered include:
- Good general health and weight. The ideal candidate will be within about 20 pounds of an ideal weight for his or her frame. Also, weight should be stable for several months prior to liposuction.
- It is ideal to commit to a healthy lifestyle in order to support the results of liposuction.
- Individuals who smoke can have liposuction. However, there is a need to avoid tobacco in the weeks leading up to the procedure, as well as through recovery.
- A healthy sense of self is an important factor in feeling satisfied with the results of liposuction, as are realistic expectations of what can be accomplished.
- Liposuction will not remove cellulite. It also will not tighten loose, sagging skin. We will discuss these concerns, if necessary, during your consultation so arrangements for additional or alternative treatment may be made.
Liposuction Recovery Process
Typically, the post-operative time is slightly painful. Patients express feeling sore, especially when transitioning from a resting to active type of movement. We provide prescription pain medication to alleviate discomfort.
Compression garments are typically worn for several weeks after your procedure.
It is important to walk as soon as you comfortably can. This encourages circulation and decreases swelling more quickly than if you remain sedentary.
Smoking and alcohol consumption should be avoided for several weeks. This allows adequate tissue oxygenation and circulation.
Alternatives to Liposuction
Recent advances in aesthetic medicine have brought non-surgical treatment options to patients seeking fat-reduction. These include CoolSculpting and Exilis, among others. While some patients do experience a loss of a few inches in the months after non-surgical fat-reduction treatments (a full series), the results are not comparable to those of liposuction. If you want to enjoy the most noticeable results, obtain liposuction from your experienced, board-certified cosmetic surgeon.
What other procedures can be combined with lipo?
Liposuction is often combined with abdominoplasty or skin-tightening techniques, such as a neck lift with liposuction of the chin.
Is Liposuction painful?
Depending on the technique used, liposuction may be performed with either sedation or general anesthesia. The use of proper anesthetic techniques makes the procedure itself very comfortable.
How to prepare for surgery?
We discuss pre-op instructions with patients in the weeks prior to surgery. Some general guidelines include:
- NO smoking!
- Avoid the use of herbal remedies and medications that may increase bleeding, including aspirin.
- Implement healthy eating and exercise habits if this has been discussed with your surgeon.
- Make sure you drink plenty of water every day leading up to and following liposuction.
Advances in Liposuction Technology
Since we first began using the procedure in the Rochester, Buffalo, and Syracuse area, liposuction has benefited from several technological advances. Newer, more advanced procedures, including ultrasound-assisted lipoplasty and the tumescent technique, are helping our plastic surgeons to provide patients from Syracuse, Buffalo and Rochester with liposuction in which the results are more precise and the recovery times quicker. Liposuction cannot replace a healthy lifestyle and good eating habits, but it can help you get rid of stubborn concentrations of fat that don’t respond to diet and exercise.
- Ultrasound-Assisted Lipoplasty makes use of a special cannula that produces extremely high-frequency sound waves. As the cannula moves back and forth through fat deposits, the ultrasonic energy liquefies fat by destroying the walls of the fat cells. The liquefied fat is then vacuumed out quickly and easily with the cannula, in the same manner as traditional liposuction.
- The Tumescent Technique helps reduce the post-operative bruising, swelling and pain that accompany a traditional liposuction procedure. When performing tumescent technique liposuction, your surgeon will inject a large amount of liquid anesthetic into the areas of excess fat, causing the area containing the fat to become swollen and firm, or “tumesced.” This expansion of the area around the fat deposits allows the liposuction cannula more freedom of movement as it removes fat beneath the skin. Blood loss is minimized in tumescent technique liposuction, so there is less likelihood that a blood transfusion will be necessary.
The results of liposuction can last your lifetime. You are in the driver’s seat! The more you move, and the better you eat and treat your body, the less likely you are to struggle with excess fat.
Are you in Western New York and interested to know more about liposuction? Call (585) 922-5840.
Please contact our cosmetic surgery practice in the Rochester, Buffalo, and Syracuse area with any liposuction questions. Liposuction can also be performed in conjunction with abdominoplasty and breast reduction. We can help you decide which technique is right for you.
Featured Liposuction Patients