When it comes to the appearance of the stomach, often the best diet and exercise routine won’t even flatten the midsection. Pregnancy and weight fluctuations can leave you with sagging skin, excess fatty tissue and unwanted stretch marks. Abdominoplasty, also called tummy tuck surgery, can get you the flatter stomach you’ve wanted but couldn’t always get without going under the knife. Did you know that tummy tuck surgery also delivers medical benefits?
Read on to learn about these benefits.
- Loose skin hanging over a crease in the skin in the lower midsection can pose a risk of infection in the fold of the skin. Removing this excess skin that hangs over gets rid of this infection risk.
- Another benefit of having a tummy tuck is that you may enjoy improved posture. This is due to tightening the muscles during surgery.
- A tummy tuck can also help with back pain. Often weakened stomach muscles can lead to back pain, which is a common complaint of women who experience pregnancy. When the stomach muscles are tightened during a tummy tuck surgery, you will achieve abdominal support to improve your back pain.
- Many women and some men may experience stress urinary incontinence, or SUI, in their lives. This condition happens when there is too much pressure on the bladder and urethra. Patients who have SUI experience uncontrollable leakage when they sneeze, cough, laugh or exercise. Studies show that tummy tuck surgery can help patients who have SUI.
- If you have a ventral hernia, you may benefit from tummy tuck surgery. When your intestine or abdominal tissue breaks through the abdominal wall, forming a pouch, it’s called a ventral hernia. These hernias form from abdominal weakness caused by weight loss, cesarean section or even appendectomy. Tummy tuck surgery strengthens weakened abdominal muscles, which puts less pressure on your skin and helps correct a ventral hernia.
In addition to medical benefits, tummy tuck surgery helps patients feel like themselves again and give patients a boost in confidence. If you are interested in learning more about a tummy tuck surgery, call our office at (585) 922-5840 for a consultation.