It may be the most popular non-surgical cosmetic treatment around, but how much do you really know about Botox? Read on to learn what it is and how it works to help rejuvenate your appearance.
- Botox is the first and only FDA-approved treatment for smoothing out the appearance of moderate to severe frown lines between the eyebrows (also known as the 11 lines), forehead lines and crow’s feet around the eyes in adults.
- Botox targets dynamic wrinkles, which is one of two types of wrinkles. Dynamic wrinkles happen when the muscle contracts under the skin. These muscle contractions are caused by smiling, frowning, squinting and raising your eyebrows.
- Botox is injected into the muscle underneath a furrow, weakening the muscle to the point where it cannot contract.
- Dysport is another FDA-approved treatment for frown lines between the eyebrows. It’s made from a neurotoxin produced by the bacterium Clostridium botulinum, the same neurotoxin used in Botox.
- Treatment takes around 15 minutes, and patients can return to their regular routine after treatment, which is one of the reasons why it’s so popular. You can be in and out of the office and back to your life in no time, with no downtime.
- Some patients report a slight pinching sensation when the tiny needle is injected into the treatment area.
- Cosmetic fillers offer immediate results, but with Botox, it will take 3-4 days to see initial results and as many as 2-3 weeks for full results.
- Results last about four months on average, so you’ll want to return for repeated treatment to prolong results. Many patients get Botox done 3-4 times a year to maintain results.
- Botox is often a treatment offered on its own, but it can be combined with cosmetic fillers and some laser procedures to enhance your overall desired results.
If you’re interested in learning more about Botox and other treatments to help you achieve a more youthful, rejuvenated appearance, schedule a consultation by calling (585) 922-5840 today.