Male breast enlargement, also known as gynecomastia, is estimated to occur in roughly 60 percent of the male population. Although the condition is not a serious health threat, its negative effects on self-esteem is one of the reasons why there has been increased attention paid to the condition and its treatment.
During initial consultations, men often ask about their eligibility for the procedure. Aside from having abnormally enlarged breasts, male breast reduction is for you if:
- Your breast development has fully stabilized; gynecomastia typically happens among adolescent males and the excess breast tissue tends to disappear without any intervention once they have reached full puberty.
- You have achieved stable body weight for the past 6 months; you will be instructed to lose the extra pounds if you are overweight or obese.
- You have good skin elasticity, making it easy for the skin in the surgical site to adhere to its new contours.
- You are not currently taking medications that significantly affect your hormones; gynecomastia is thought to be heavily influenced by hormonal changes thus it may be best to avoid these medications to figure out if the abnormal breast growth will disappear on its own.
- You are physically fit and relatively in good health.
- You have realistic expectations of the surgery and are well-informed about the possible risks and complications post-surgery .
Planning for Your Male Breast Reduction at the Plastic Surgery Group of Rochester
Once you have determined that male breast reduction surgery is right for you, you’ll need to schedule an initial consultation with us here at our practice. Aside from a thorough discussion of your cosmetic goals and preferences, a physical assessment will be performed. This will include an examination of the possible reasons why you have gynecomastia in the first place, such as liver and thyroid problems, and other issues with your medication history.
Call us at 585-922-5840 to schedule a consultation today. We look forward to your visit!