If you’ve been considering a cosmetic surgical procedure, you will have a thorough consultation with your plastic surgeon to go over everything surgery will entail. This consultation will also determine whether you are a good candidate for surgery.
Here is what you need to know if you are considering plastic surgery:
- It’s important to be in good general health. During your meeting with the plastic surgeon, you will discuss any health conditions and concerns you have. If you have diabetes, high blood pressure, heart or lung disease, depression or bleeding disorders, you may not be a good candidate for surgery. These conditions and more can pose risks with anesthesia, bleeding or infection.
- It’s important to quit smoking if you intend to go under the knife for plastic surgery. Smoking reduces blood flow, which impairs healing. It can also lead to slow recovery and reduce resistance to infections. Your surgeon will want you to quit smoking for at least several weeks before surgery and after. Ask the surgical team if they have ideas for cessation programs that may help.
- It will be important to reduce or stop alcohol consumption. Alcohol can interfere with healing as well and affect the blood flow that is crucial to healing. In general, alcohol negatively affects the quality of your skin, so you should only consume in moderation or not at all.
- Depending on the type of surgery and extent, you may need help getting home and at home after surgery. Your body will need lots of rest to heal properly. Be sure to arrange for help with daily activities and chores such as shopping and cleaning and cooking. Your surgeon will give you an understanding of the type of help you will need so you can determine how much help you should arrange prior to your procedure.
- All surgeries involve risk, even elective plastic surgery. It’s important to have realistic expectations and a positive outlook. Be sure to follow your plastic surgeon’s instructions fully.
If you are interested in learning more about scheduling a consultation for plastic surgery, call (585) 922-5840 today.